In the prologue of The Invisible Man, the narrator describes
how he lives an invisible life, unseen to the society he lives in. He is not
invisible “like those who haunted Edgar Allan Poe,” but by virtue of how others
react to him because they do not accept his reality. The narrator, an African American, struggles with his
identity as he is judged by his cover rather than his book and is often grouped
into labels such as just a black man, a southerner, or a member of the Brotherhood.
“I am an invisible man. No, I am
not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allan Poe; nor am I one of your
Hollywood-movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber
and liquids -- and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible,
understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you
see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by
mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my
surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination -- indeed,
everything and anything except me.”
The narrator also describes an instance involving him
bumping into a white man, and in response was called an insulting name. The
white man continues to insult the narrator with vulgar names even after he
pulls out a knife and threatens to kill him.
"He lay there, moaning on the
asphalt; a man almost killed by a phantom. It unnerved me. I was both disgusted
and ashamed. I was like a drunken man myself, wavering about on weakened legs.
Then I was amused. Something in this man's thick head had sprung out and beaten
him within an inch of his life. I began to laugh at this crazy discovery. Would
he have awakened at the point of death? Would Death himself have freed him for
wakeful living? But I didn't linger. I ran away into the dark, laughing so hard
I feared I might rupture myself."
It was then that the narrator realized that the white man
did not see him. He saw the image of a nigger, and nothing else. By calling the narrator a nigger, it
dehumanized the narrator and reduced him to nothing more than just a black
“mugger”. Ellison uses this instance in the chapter to distinguish that not
only is the narrator invisible, but the whites in the society he is living in
are also blind. They refuse to see and notice blacks as people. This paradox of
true vision and understanding of a person’s character rather than image plays a
huge role throughout the novel. The narrator takes pity on the man by calling
him a “Poor fool, poor blind fool…. mugged by an invisible man!” This instance
highlights the struggle for representation and identity acceptance by the
narrator.
In Chapter one, the narrator describes the words of his
dying grandfather on his deathbed.
“Live with your head in the
lion's mouth. I want you to overcome 'em with yeses, undermine 'em with grins,
agree 'em to death and destruction, let 'em swoller you till they vomit or bust
wide open…Learn it to the younguns," he whispered fiercely; then he died.”
The narrator’s grandfather advises that compliance is the
best way to overcome a white-dominated society that fails to truly notice
blacks. The façade of invisibility serves as both a theme and motif for the
novel as the narrator vows to be visible. Ellison greatly shows how for whites,
it is easy to miss something you are not looking for or do not care about. For
the narrator, as a black male in the early 20th century, his search for
acceptance from himself and society serves as his goal for social recognition
and societal representation.
- Are all black people in the novel invisible or is it just the narrator?
- How does the role of racial inequality and the motifs of blindness and invisibility contribute to how the narrator perceives himself and how others perceive him?
- Do you believe that the narrator blames society for his invisibility just to cover up the fact that he struggles to see himself as well?
1. I think to a certain extent all black people in the novel are invisible - as in they are perceived by white people how the white people choose to see them, not necessarily how they are. However, I think there are certain black characters that are not invisible, but only because they subscribe to the way that white people want them to act (passivity, submission, etc.).
ReplyDelete2. Racial inequality definitely leads to the feelings of blindness and invisibility, especially in the narrator, but also among all characters in the novel. I think the narrator's awareness of the lack of perception among white people leads to his own inability to see himself. He is consistently torn between the passivity and submission that his college preaches and that his grandfather encouraged, and his desire to truly be seen by all.
3. I think it's a little bit of both. The racial inequality present in society largely contributes the the blindness of white people and the invisibility of black people, and is mostly to blame. Therefore, the narrator's struggle to see himself is more of a symptom of an unequal society in which he has trouble defining himself and deciding how he wants to interact with the people around him.